Monday, May 20, 2013

Week 5: Building Base Knowledge

Week 5: Assignment 1

I chose to follow Daily Beast and Street Fiction:

Daily Beast: The Daily Beast is a good source for book news. I also noticed this site included reviews from titles I had not seen in other sources. Favorite content: The Book Bag--every week authors pick their favorite books.

Street Fiction: The site’s overall content is updated on a fairly regular basis. However, the layout is not set up for easy browsing. I had to set up the RSS feature to get regular updates. It’s not clear where the new content is being placed. I learned about urban fiction, nonfiction and some teen titles. Many of the titles reviewed are older titles. Favorite content: nonfiction titles focusing on hip-hop and teen urban series features: So For Real, Fab Life and Kimani Tru.

Week 5: Assignment 2

I use Early Word on a regular basis. I particularly like that the site includes media appearances by authors. It’s helpful when I get a customer who says, “I just heard about this book on The Today Show.” I will continue to use Early Word. I had not really explored the “Coming Soon” section. I’ll check this out also.

Week 5: Assignment 3


Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald: Therese Anne Fowler – Z is Therese Anne Fowler’s fictionalized autobiography of Zelda Fitzgerald. Zelda Fitzgerald had somewhat been written off in popular history as the “insane wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald.” But Zelda was a fascinating woman and accomplished artist in her own right. Fowler has offered up a fully formed character in her Zelda; it’s easy to forget this is fiction. Fowler’s primary gift is character but she’s also an incredible storyteller and knows how to give readers a sense of place and time, without bogging down the story with unnecessary period details.

This title is expected to be popular because it’s getting excellent reviews in nearly every major review source, there’s a renewed interest in the Fitzgeralds, Hemingway and Paris in the 1920s. The Gatsby movie will also add to this title’s buzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment